Five Key Techniques For Coping With Bad Times
Sometimes it feels like the universe has given us everything we’ve ever asked for. But other times we get so down and exhausted by the hurdles thrown at us we feel like crawling into bed and pulling the covers over our heads.
It may sound trite, but there’s no escaping adversity — everyone, sooner or later, has to face it. The secret is how some people cope with seemingly endless difficulties — illness, the death of a loved one, job loss or divorce — or all four — and somehow get through it and end up smiling. How do they do it, you ask? We’re here to offer a few tips for coping with the profound trouble’s life tosses your way. Next time, think of these suggestions and you’ll see your way out of adversity more easily.
1) Remember That Everything Passes: Even the worst. It may sound like cold comfort, but the worst issue you face will, in fact and eventually, pass. You’ve lost your job — you will get another, and in the meantime make economic adjustments at home. No matter how much adversity tries to knock you down, once you really understand the problem, get on with the business of finding solutions. And don’t forget: ask for help when you need it.
2) Discover Your Sense of Humour: Finding reasons to laugh, even simple ones, puts a smile on everyone’s face. Watch cat videos online. Spend time with a special friend who makes you laugh. There may be no humor to find in the problem you’re facing, but there is humor in life. Distract yourself even temporarily by laughing, and you’ll feel better instantly.
3) Take Inventory Of Where You Are: By that we mean you need to take stock of your life, of your strengths, weaknesses, talents and other qualities. Adversity gives you the chance to employ your life skills, and develop them further. When we think about problems in the abstract, we imagine we would never be able to deal with them: a breakup, perhaps, or the death of a favourite pet. But then it happens, and somehow, you cope. Maybe not well at first, but eventually you figure out how to live, and live well, in spite of what’s happened. And that helps brace you for the next hurdle.
4) Seize The Chance For Change: Okay, so your partner dumped you. It’s tough, but no matter how long you two were together, your new status presents the opportunity to embrace change. Think of all that’s available to you in your new circumstances, and go for it. Do some silly things, like get a new haircut or take up a hobby — anything you couldn’t do as part of a couple. Just don’t sit at home stewing.
5) Never, Ever Give Up: Especially on yourself. Adversity comes to everyone, so understand it’s not something you did, or asked for, or are to blame for. Think of all your qualities that people love, and have helped you get where are today.
Every successful person on the planet has faced adversity — try reading about Oprah’s childhood, then think of all she’s overcome. Or Walt Disney. Did you know he was let go from a job early in his career for lack of creativity? Can you imagine!?
Our point is that adversity comes to us all. Now it’s time to handle it, and get on with the business of living your most fabulous life. You can do it!read more